Looking for some ideas of things to do while visiting the area?
The Great Valley House is only about 10-minute drive from Valley Forge National Historic Park and about 30 min. drive to either Philadelphia’s Historic District or to the Brandywine area of Chester County, including the Brandywine River Museum or Longwood Gardens. There is something of interest for every taste in this historic and picturesque area. In addition to the 4 acres of property with the Great Valley House, the inn is directly adjacent to 20 acres of protected open space with walking trails open to the public. The beautiful inground swimming pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day which guests are invited to enjoy.
Here are some ideas and online links of activities to see and do in the immediate area:
- Historic Valley Forge National Park presented by The Valley Forge Historical Society. Provides information on the museum, the history, who served there and George Washington. If you follow the museum link from their home page, you can find a recommendation for the The Great Valley House from some nice people who have stayed here.
- History of Valley Forge Trolley Tour The “History of Valley Forge” trolley tour highlights the key stories of General Washington and his troops during the 1777-78 Valley Forge winter encampment.
- Ask the Curator at Valley Forge Read scores of previously answered questions — or ask your own question about Valley Forge!. Compliments of the Curator, Valley Forge Historical Society.
- The Valley Forge Convention & Visitors Bureau is a great resource for information on our area. Topics include What’s New? What’s to do? Calendar of Events! How to get to Valley Forge? Where to get more information?
- The Liberty Net’s Historic Philadelphia site is a fountain of information on Philadelphia with both historic and contemporary things to do and see. See The Betsy Rose and the Historic Mile pages. There are also links to Liberty Net’s Valley Forge pages.
- Brandywine Battlefield Park The Brandywine Battlefield Park brings to life the largest engagement of the Revolutionary War, fought on September 11, 1777, between the Continental Army led by General George Washington and the British forces headed by General William Howe.
- Chester County Historical Society Explore 300 years of Chester County history. Discover the intrigue of America’s past through the unique lens of local history.
- Chester County. An index of web sites related to Chester County which is the home of all the title deeds referred to on our history page. This web site has a number of very helpful links to places of interest in our area.
Weather Underground the current local weather forecast.
- Longwood Gardens The world’s premier horticultural display garden. Longwood offers 1,050 acres of gardens, woodlands, and meadows; 20 outdoor gardens; 20 indoor gardens within 4 acres of heated greenhouses; 11,000 different types of plants and spectacular fountains. Kennett Square, PA – 610-388-1000
- Winterthur Museum World’s premier collection of American decorative arts 1640-1860, showcased in Period Rooms and exhibition Galleries, Garden & tram.
- Historic Brandywine Valley Come explore the historic Brandywine Valley. Discover our natural beauty, our history, our art, antiques, mansions and gardens and our unique brand of country casual hospitality. The Brandywine is nestled amidst the rolling hills of southern Chester County, PA, where the Battle of Brandywine was fought, and northern New Castle County, DE where the paper was milled for the Declaration of Independence and America’s first currency.
- Brandywine Museum Three galleries in the old mill building boast original structural beams, white plaster walls, and pine floors. The fourth, the Andrew Wyeth gallery, features flexible wall partitions and a unique skylight system. All galleries open from a circular, brick-floored core – a symbolic silo for the old mill – with dramatic walls of glass, providing spectacular views of the Brandywine River and the rural landscape that inspired many of the artists represented in the museum’s carefully focused collections.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art. Current exhibits, hours, admission, phone numbers and directions.
- Mummers Museum Exhibits relating to the Philadelphia New Years Parade. The marathon parade is made up of four major divisions starting early in the morning on New Year’s Day (weather permitting) and continues until late in the evening. Thousands participate as well as view the parade and the City of Philadelphia judges the performers and issues prizes.
- University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology One of top ten science museums. The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, through its research, collections, and dissemination of knowledge, advances understanding of the world’s cultural heritage.
- Historic Bartram’s Garden America’s oldest living botanical garden, a pastoral 18th century homestead surrounded by the urban bustle of Philadelphia.
Hiking & Biking
- Valley Forge Trails Valley Forge National Historical Park contains 28 miles of authorized trail that are popular for hiking, biking and horseback riding.
- Best Hiking Trails Near Valley Forge
- Bike Trail between Philadelphia and Valley Forge
- Bicycle Rental: No need to bring your bikes, you can rent them at Valley Forge National Historical Park — click here for Great Valley House blog post with all the details.
- The King of Prussia Mall. Welcome to what is now the world’s most complete,the world’s most enticing, the world’s most exquisite shopping experience. The Plaza & The Court at King of Prussia are the 2nd largest mall in the US and only 3-1/2 mi. from Great Valley House.
- Philadelphia Premium Outlet Mall 150 outlet stores in Limerick, PA, 20 min. away.
- Franklin Mills The official landmark of the discount shopper.
- VF Factory Outlet/VF Designers Outlet First quality trusted name brand clothing in Reading, PA.
- Skippack Village 18th century street village houses, 50 shops and restaurants in Skippack, PA.
- Valley Forge Casino The Valley Forge Casino Resort is the region’s only full-amenity gaming resort with live table games and all the latest and greatest slot machines. A luxurious and exciting casino floor features 600 of the latest and most popular slot machines, along with 50 of the best table games, including Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, Pai Gow Poker and Baccarat.
- The United States Hot Air Balloon Team Welcome To The Official Site of the US Hot Air Balloon Team. As a hot air balloon company unlike any other in the world, we customize balloon flights and tours in southeastern Pennsylvania, throughout the country and overseas. Couples and groups alike choose the details that make flights so memorable.
- Air Ventures Hot Air Balloon Flights Inc. Offering hot air ballooning flights over beautiful Chester County…flight certificates are available for sunrise or sunset. Enjoy a champagne toast and hors’oeuvres after viewing the earth from above.
- Chaddsford Winery Between Longwood Gardens and Brandywine River Museum, Daily Tours, tasting and sales.
- Trail Horse back riding at Sheeder Mill Farm Rides ½ hour and up, Trail Riding Lessons, Picnic Rides 1 ½ hour and up, 1 Day Travel Ride, Local Overnights (tent camping).
- Philadelphia Zoo The oldest zoo in America.
- UA King Of Prussia Stadium 16 & IMAX - 300 Goddard Blvd, King of Prussia, PA 19406 – (610)-337-0282